The freshness of the coming year is heralded well before its dawn.
Transitions are rarely cataclysmic, overnight changes like the celebration of a 31st night would have us believe. More often, there are gradual shifts towards a tipping point, followed by an adjustment period of recalibration to a newer way of being.
So for those of us who found 2014 to be an impactful year, the suggestion would be to take the last few days of this year to assimilate and consciously integrate your growth. There would be habits and complaints to leave behind. There would be dreams and fears that have now largely dissolved. There would be relationships that have ended, or begun or changed in irrevocable ways. There would be unexpressed grief, as also celebrations left incomplete.
Importantly, more loudly than ever before, this year you may have begun to notice the whisper of a voice that invites you to the possibility of a completely new way of being and living.
These are times of tremendous change in the world. And three factors will significantly influence how well we adapt, survive, or thrive from hereon:
- Our ability to surrender the comfort that comes from familiarity will be a critical factor. Just as we remain attached to security, nurturing and safety, the themes of apathy, passiveness, resignation, victimhood are also ways we grow accustomed to. Whether these result in a harmonious experience or a disturbed state, they can be difficult to shake off.
- We tend to look to the future through the filters of our experience. Our unconscious habit of projecting and extrapolating the past into the future, the subtle but strong beliefs of any situation or relationship being unchangeable and the consequent limitations of our imagination, all come in the way of us being able to believe and honour that soft inner voice.
- The extent to which we acknowledge and address our stress and triggers undoubtedly affects the quality of our experience. Many of us are well aware of the changes that we need to make in not only our exercise, diet, lifestyle, etc… , but also where we need to question our thoughts, break our patterns, mature in our emotional responses and our spiritual beliefs. In the modern world, information is readily and abundantly available. What is required is the translation of it into action. Until then, the concept by itself is useful up to a point. But beyond that – it in itself can become a cause of detrimental complacency.
Making a sacred time and space to consciously move into the new year with a whole new vibe can bring a unique coherence and harmony to this transition. The symbolism and non verbal components of a personal ritual carries its own impact. Accordingly, below is a suggested outline. Feel free to personalize it for your own use.
- Select a quiet time and space when you will be undisturbed. Early mornings, or late night, just after a cleansing bath are good times.
- Light a lamp or candle, burn some incense or sage.
- Breathe quietly for a few moments, until your attention is centered in the present moment.
- Take a few minutes to pray and invoke the assistance of higher powers.
- Imagine yourself encased completely in a violet flame.
- Now read the sets of questions given below. It is not necessary to actively seek specific answers (though you could do that as a separate exercise), but to open ourselves to release and newer awareness. With each set, allow any images, emotions, or thoughts that arise. Allow all resistance, arguments, or blockages to show up. After a few minutes of such pause, mentally affirm, “Release. Dissolve. Let go.” and surrender it all to grace.
- When you have finished the list in this manner, continue to sit quietly for a few more minutes with your eyes closed. Imagine golden light pouring in through the crown of your head and out through the soles of your feet, deep to the centre of the earth. Let the light cleanse out and heal all parts of you.
- Notice and anchor in the changes in your body, breathing and state of mind.
- Offer your thanks to the divine and open your eyes, feeling light and refreshed.
Questions for your consideration:
- What residual emotions, thoughts and patterns are you still holding on to? What would it take for you to release these easily now?
- What habitual ways of perceiving, relating and behaving are you yet unwilling to release? How would you feel without these? What would it take for you to release these easily now?
- What if the future looks nothing like the past? What would it take for you to feel safe about not knowing how things turn out?
- What is that you know you need to do differently, that you have been refusing to do until now? What would it take for you to implement the knowledge that you already have? Are you willing to give this awareness its due attention and energy now?
- What is the one thing that you need to stop doing that could raise your joy and peace to a completely new level? What is the one thing that you need to start doing that could raise your joy and peace to a completely new level? What prevents you from making those shifts now?
- Who do you need to forgive? What would it take for you to be willing to do that now?
- What do you yet need to acknowledge and give its due honour and appreciation? Would you do that now?
- Would you be willing to experience a whole new level of love, freedom, joy and peace than you have ever known before? What would help you make this shift smoothly and comfortably now?
If you enjoyed this exercise, please share it with others as well.
May we all reconnect with our own inner light and usher in a new era of lightness in the world we co-create… Enjoy your blessed new year!
Image Source: FB Group – Ho’oponopono Lovers